Wednesday 11 May 2011

Marriage dilemma of a Sarpanch

While we were busy dealing with some work today, in the hot afternoon, inside the office room, someone sent a visiting card which indicated the name of a Sarpanch from Gara.  Shortly afterwards, he was shown the way in; an old man appeared at the doorway with some papers in hand.  Expecting them to be some petition, seeking the usual housing or pensions for his village, I took the papers from his hand and saw a different kind of printed application.  On closer examination, I realised that its an application to register a couple for the ensuing 'Kalyanamastu', mass marriages being conducted by Tirumala Tirupati Devastanams(TTD), with the photo of the groom, in a colourful pink striped shirt and dark hair, affixed there.  As the Sarpanch is the head of the village, I was asking him if there was some marriage of social significance that he wanted to perform in the mass marriages. Before I could get finish my sentence, I was abruptly cut short by the photo in the application which resembled someone I knew.  To my horror, I found that the age column under the groom's name read 60 yrs, that of the bride read 23, and the photo belonged to none other than the fellow standing in front of me.  It was a photo with his white hair dyed black.  Recovering from the shock, gathering myself again I gave a dirty look at the fellow, unable to understand how such a senior politician and village elder could intend to do such a thing.  

The inquisitive part in me wanted to know what went in his mind to take such a decision of marriage at such a ripe old age with a young girl. I sat alone with him and said "What happened to your first wife?".
He took off.  "I was married for 30 years with my first wife without kids.  Though she was mentally ill we spent 30 yrs together and she passed away 7months ago due to long term illness.  When I was struggling with her loss, this brilliant idea struck me".  The 'brilliance' of this idea produced uncontrollable laughter inside me, was suppressed with great difficulty, without allowing it to escape my lips.  I said, " why did you not adopt a child?".  He continued, " I put forth two proposals in front of my wife a couple of times, either to adopt a child or to get a second wife for me. She never agreed to either of them saying that she isnt in a position to look after any child, that there is still the possibility of having kids for us.  As a husband I should not do something my wife is against, hence I dropped either of the ideas".  I inquired, "Now that she is no more, why cant you do the same thing of adopting a kid or a grownup son of your brothers?".  Struggling to withhold his tears, he said "you dont know how miserable it is to be lonely.  After cooking, while you are alone eating, there would be no one to fetch a glass of water when I was chocked. All my brothers and relatives whom I gave money and lands  were nowhere to be seen, even to ask me if I had my food.  Even when I was bed ridden not single soul was there to give me a cup of coffee.  I am a landed man.  While I was on the bed I realised that I needed a wife and son to take care of me, my name and my property.  Therefore I decided to marry again and adopt a son".  To this I asked, "You can marry an older lady who is of your age to take care of loneliness. That will serve your purpose. Dont you feel you are doing injustice to the young girl?".  He replied, "I considered that option too.  If I marry an old lady, her health will be an additional burden on me. Grown up boys never take care of us.  Hence I proposed to this girl, who agreed in order to educate and marry her two younger sisters and take care of her elder disabled sister".  

The young girl's fate was paining me when his phone rang.  He said with excitement, "Since the time I proposed to her, she has not been leaving me. Lovely girl calls me every few hours and inquires about my well being".  After going aside and exchanging some sweet nothings, he returned and continued,  "You need a young female to take care of the adopted boy and the property.  She too likes the idea of adopting a child for us and bringing him up.  I will have a son to carry my name, and all my lands into the future, and most importantly my political heir.  Dont you agree?".  Saying this he departed with a victorious smile leaving me behind wondering whether I need to send someone to stop this marriage from happening or to keep quiet as both of them are majors.

The question: Is this marriage just?

From the girls stand point: Her destiny has thrust upon her the responsibility of taking care of her disabled elder sister and education/marriage needs of two younger sisters, in the absence of a father.  She decided not to marry in order to take care of her elder sister.  For such a girl, the option of getting some means to support her siblings, as well as get an adopted son of her own is a good.

From the old man's stand point: Its obviously good for him from his argument.

From the stand point of marriage: Does this union server the purpose of a marriage?  Marriage as I understand, is an institution which aims at producing and nurturing the future torch bearers of the family and society, in an emotionally, socially and financially secure environment. 

In the end, I decided not to interfere.  But the dilemma continues in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I can't stop thanking Lord Zakuza for helping me bring back my girlfriend that left me for another man at her workplace.. I was shocked when she broke up with me and I needed help but everything I did to recover her back did not work. If not for the intervention of Lord Zakuza who I met online, I wouldn't have gotten back my girlfriend because Lord Zakuza prepared a love spell that brought her back to me within 48 hours. I love my girlfriend and I'm happy getting her back again. Thank you Lord Zakuza and I promise to share my experience with you to everybody so that anyone that needs help in any way can also get help too for you are a good and wonderful man that God has sent to help those who need help.. Here's his contact information just in case you need any help from him. WhatsApp/call number +1 (740) 573-9483 or Email: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete